Re: Is my MSI DR8-A2 broken?

Hi,

> It writes CD-Rs and DVD+RW disks properly but not DVD+
> It get even worse with DVD-R 8x media
> ':-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]

I get that as final salute from my DVD-RW :
  * formatting |:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]:
  Input/output error
Typically it happens with media which were written in "sequential"
mode and stored data for several months. But recently i killed a
freshly used DVD-RW by just writing it in "restricted overwrite"
mode and then trying to format it to "sequential".

This used to work a year ago when i tested the media from the
same spindle. Now the spindle is nearly empty and the media
pass the way, one after the other. Looks like chemical ageing
to me.

A DVD drive needs to find its kind of media. It seems to be
normal that a lot of brands simply don't work. Unless
you test a statistically sufficient number of manufaturers
it is not even proven that your drive is worse than other
brands. It might be just bad luck.

That's why i'm so much in favor of DVD+RW. My burner loves them.
I bought that LG because i knew that its predecessors love
DVD+RW, too.
So possibly it's wise to purchase a burner matching to your
preferred media and not vice versa.