Re: Cdrecord!

Joerg Schilling wrote:

>You are a victim of unplanned changes in the Linux kernel and it may be that
>you run software that is not used on Linux by default.

Is there a plan about Linux changes? I just found a 'final word' about
udev vs. devfs that was written almost two years ago. (*)

>If you like use cdrecord, you need to create a correct set of /dev/* entries
>on your machine. If it appears that a specific new implementaions will stay for
>more than 2 years, I will have a look at it and start adding support.

Well it looks as if udev has been implemented for two years now and many
distros start to enforce the use of udev now (two years seem to be a
common interval).
I suppose that most users use cdrecord through k3b and k3b's Author is
much more willing to adapt his software to changes in Linux. I did not
encounter any problems using it after changing to udev which will
probably save you a lot of Linux problem reports.

Rüdiger

(*) http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs