Re: mkisofs aborts but exit value is 0

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

I would need to rethink the problem.

Here's a thought on that, if the read length is not the same as the expected length, the error is really "file size changed during read" and the current length can be found with stat() or similar. I'm surprised that this doesn't come up more often, when doing backups where files (such as logs) are growing, the available data size is growing, is that currently handled properly?

mkisofs is not a backup tool.

If you like to do backups, use apropriate tools (e.g. star).

I have looked through the man pages and even the source for star, and don't see how to create ISO9660 images. It seems only to be able to create its own format backups, which require installing star on the target, are not bootable and installable, etc.

Am I missing something, or are you taking the opportunity to draw attention to one of your other tools, which does things unrelated to the topic under discussion?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc