Re: cdrecord 2.01 do READ_BUFFER and crashes drive.

Hin-Tak Leung <hintak_leung@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > Q: If you find that the Linux kernel is broken, how about making it optional?
> >
> > A: Well, I know for a long time and cdrtools was developed on Solaris since
> > 	the beginning for exactly this reason.
>
> I don't want to turn this into a Linux versus Solaris flame-match; for me,
> I did have both as optional - I had Solaris 7 and Linux installed

Well the main problem is that I had a lot of troubles with recent Linux kernels.

I did start an attempt to fix the most important problems with SCSI on Linux
7 years ago and I did fail because it turns out that Linux is not open enough
to support knowledgeable people who like to help to make Linux better.
Many of the problems I was trying to address at that time still exists.

I don't want to flame war, but I have to admit that I gave up with Linux as
there is not enough support for the needs of CD/DVD writing programs.

Meanwhile, _all_ my problems in the Solaris kernel have been fixed and it
is even possible to do CD/DVD writing in Solaris 10 without the need to
add my scg driver (which I wrote in August 1986). In a few days, Solaris
will become Open Source for everyone. It turned out that it was a good idea
not to waste my time with unwilling people from the Linux kernel crew but
to work on the OpenSolaris project instead.

The FreeBSD project also gives better support to me than Linux.

Of course, Linux is still welcome but I don't see it as a primary platform
for my programs anymore as long as the bugs related to my programs are not
fixed. If Linux kernel people like to fix the problems that have been reported
long ago, they are welcome but I will no longer waste my time with useless
attempts to run after them trying to convice them.

> I am willing to believe you that Solaris 10 is a much better OS than Linux;
> I have heard a lot of good things about Solaris, and my laptop dual-boots
> linux and Solaris 7, even now. I want to have both. There is no need
> to choose.

For me Solaris hast been the only platform that meets my demands as a
SCSI application developer. Only on Solaris, I have access to sufficient error
information on failed SCSI commands. While it may be possible to later run
the application, it is impossible to develop the application if you do not
have sufficient error information. Just think of a CD drive that may believe in
a different sector size than the application; this may result in DMA residual
counts that can only be detected on Solaris.

> 6 years ago, linux supported all the hardware I had then on the laptop,
> Solaris 7 did not (pcmcia did not work so I had no network connectivity,
> Xsun only did 480 x 640 at 4-bit/16-color color, Xfree did 1024x768 x 24-bit).
> I have tried to make Xfree work under Solaris 7, and I have tried to make
> the video porting kit work as well. I don't think Solaris 10 substantially
> improved hardware support on heavily OEM'ed laptops like a Sony Vaio.
> I want to believe you, and when I have a *desktop* system with fairly
> standard *mainstream* hardware, I will give Solaris 10 a try, *again*,
> I promise.

Frame buffers never really have been a problem on Solaris x86 if you did know
how to configure them (e.g. knowing which card used wich chipset and knowing
that a VESA driver will always work).

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/