dvd burners for RedHat9 box

Writing DVDs on a linux computer: RedHat9 OK? what DVD burner?

I need to add dvd to a linux computer for backup. Currently it has no dvd-burner and runs RedHat9. I want help 1) figuring out if I can leave the box on RedHat9 (avoid upgrading) in meeting the dvd need, and 2) choosing a compatibile burner to buy.

I see the tool recommended for writing DVDs in growisofs, part of the dvd+rw-tools package. RedHat9 doesn't come with it (on the installation CDs) but Fedora 2 does. I tested whether the latest version (5.21) of dvd+rs-tools would compile on a RedHat9 system, and it did, though without a drive I have no way to actually use it. Can anybody attest successful usage of this tool under RedHat9? Or, suggest any alternative dvd-writing methods known to work?

I'm looking at Sony DRU720A and Pioneer DVRA09XL burners. Attracted by their ability to do dual-layer recording with it's higher capacity (8GB as opposed to 5). Any feedback about those models, about whether growisofs will support use of the dual-layer recording capability, or reports of any other models used with success in similar situations? Thanks.