Arbitrary File Systems no longer writable

Hello.

Ever since kernel 2.6.x, I have had a hell of a time with my DVD+RW.  I used
to follow the advice here:
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003/09/msg00013.html
I tended to burn ext2 or ext3 disks instead of udf.  If done on a DVD+RW, it
would yield a disk that was functionally an optical hard drive.  I.e., I
could write and delete files to and from it.  I found this functionality
increadibly useful.  That is the beauty of a DVD+RW, and that was a huge
selling point to me.

Even with the patch 2.6.9 and earlier was flaky as hell, often times locking
my system up.  Now, with 2.6.10, scsi emulation seems entirely broken.  I had
to switch to burning to the ATAPI device instead.  The burn works just fine
-- the problem is I cannot get my system to acknowledge /dev/hdd as anything
but a read-only filesystem.  Even if I explicitly tell it to mount rw, and
even if I chmod 666 /dev/hdd.  It always treats is as read only -- Even
though DVD+RW media should be able to handle this.

Does anyone know how I can get this functionality back?

thanks!

Chris

btw -- going back to 2.4.x is not an option for me because of compatability
options with other hardware on my system.