Re: growisofs size calculation

Hi,

> 4.3G    dvd
> but
> |*** 880 ~/dvd ***>growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J .
> Executing 'mkisofs -R -J . | builtin_dd of=/dev/dvd
> obs=32k seek=0'
> :-( /dev/dvd: 2295104 blocks are free, 2370945 to be
> written
> :-( write failed: No space left on device

2048*2370945 = 4855695360 bytes.
That's 155 MB over 4.7 billion.

> The actual number of blocks to write is 2245080 (based
> again on du).

There are differences between ISO9660 and usual disk file
systems.
E.g. du does not count unused block gaps within files but
mkisofs writes them as large amounts of zero bytes.
(On the other hand mkisofs seems to store only one copy
of multiple files with identical content. Not to forget,
du is of very limited accuracy with e.g. ReiserFS.)

>  Thought I'd ask for advice before
> tossing a dvd away trying overburn.

Please report about the outcome of your try.

I got experience with DVD+RW and DVD-RW which both made
growisofs abort at the predicted fill size. But i never
used -overburn .  I'm too cowardish with my burner.

> Also is there a way to have multiple source
> directories and not have them appear on the target
> dvd?
> growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /path/to/file1
> /diff/path/file2
> would appear on the dvd as
> /file1
> /file2
> Thanks!

Try this :

  growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J \
    -graft-points \
    /file1=/path/to/file1 \
    /file2=/diff/path/file2

For more info look for "-graft-points" in man mkisofs