Re: dvd+rw-tools question

> I have a growisofs performance question. When I do
>    $ mksifos -R -J treename > /dev/null
> it takes 21 minutes for some 3G of data (7 large and 7 small files). Same
> when I redirect to some junk.iso file on a hard disk other than the one
> holding the data. In both cases hard disk LED is lit all the time.
>
> However, when I do
>    $ growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -speed=8 -R -J treename
> it takes the whole 44 minutes. The reported average speed is about 0.8x,
> and the hard disk LED is not lit 1/3 to half the time. It seems like
> image-making and burning are taking turns.
> [...] I am using ide-scsi access for the burner.

Besides Volker's idea about DMA i got a another suspicion :

Is your burner at the same IDE controller as your source disk ?
Is that fast other disk possibly at a different IDE controller ?

I once experienced similar effects with a CD-Burner at hdb
while its source disk was hda. Another effect was that hda
stalled while hdb was blanking or fixating CDs.

I swapped the burner with the second disk hdc and performance became
acceptable (12x CD speed).
After i then enabled DMA by hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc (despite ide-scsi)
even my screen cursor moved smoothely while burning CDs. :))