Re: growisofs failed to change write speed

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Andy Polyakov wrote:
>> Please, check the version explicitly with 'growisofs -version'. I [for
>> one] don't keep track on which version is shipped with any particular
>> distro or when updated. If it's less than 5.19 (as mentioned at
>> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.hml), then update. If not,
>> submit the actual dvd+rw-mediainfo output for the media in question. A.
>
> ahh, thank you...i upgraded but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
> as
> a temporary solution, i've been using k3b's "ignore speed" option.  it
> seems to work well, but my max write speed seems to top out around 6x.

ok, the problem got worse when i upgraded to 5.21.  now growisofs changes
the write speed to 8x, but the actual writing of the disk tops out at 2.5x.
and worse part is that my old fix of using "ignore speed" doesn't alleviate
the problem like it used to.  i'm use the same media as before.  here's the
output of dvd+rw-mediainfo:

[cjb@semaphore cjb]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom1
INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-2500A ][1.07]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
 Media ID:              RITEK/R03
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     3.9x1385=5408KB/s@[0 -> 442367]
                        5.9x1385=8112KB/s@[442368 -> 1155071]
                        7.8x1385=10816KB/s@[1155072 -> 1557168]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/1557168 R@7.8x1385=10816KB/s W@7.8x1385=10816KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/1557168 R@7.8x1385=10816KB/s W@5.9x1385=8112KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#2:    03/1557168 R@3.9x1385=5408KB/s W@3.9x1385=5408KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#3:    03/1557168 R@2.3x1385=3245KB/s W@2.3x1385=3245KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       01h, DVD-ROM book [revision 1]
 Legacy lead-out at:    1557168*2KB=3189080064
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: complete
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           partial/complete
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            1557168*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             17@0
 Track#AA :             17@1557168
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0
READ CAPACITY:          1557168*2048=3189080064

thanks for the help.