Re: mkisofs -graft-points and deep directories - again

> > ... [-D] is the only method which i
> > know to circumvent the problem. Seems as if nobody
> > knows a better one.
>
> The reason why I did not want to use it blindly is stated in the man page:
>
>        -D     Do not use deep directory relocation, and instead just pack them
>               in the way we see them.
>               This  violates  the  ISO9660 standard, but it happens to work on
>               many systems.  Use with caution.
>
> I was looking for a more portable solution, if possible - not that I would
> read the ISO images on anything other than Linux which seems to be ok with it.

That text is not very encouraging, indeed.
Additionaly there are some old versions of mkisofs where -D
fails with symptoms similar to modern versions without -D.

When i discussed this issue with several of my users, a year
ago, i asked them to check wether the -D CDs were usable
on all their systems. They reported success.
My software sets -D since then and there was not a single
report of a deep directory tree on CD that was not readable
afterwards on any system.

If there is anybody, who can name an existing OS that does
not like ISO 9660 CDs with directories deeper than 6 levels
then i would be interested to learn about that.