Re: Bad media?

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user
request...
:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output
error

There were couple of reports that skiping OPC [by modifying the code] helps some units, but I failed to find any regularity in reports. OPC by itself is poorly documented, so I'm not sure if it's required or "right thing" to do in all situations [as discussed at the end of http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/-RW/].

I'm a complete loser in patching source code I don't understand, but
what I did is find the line that said
	sperror ("PERFORM OPC",err),
in growisofs_mmc.cpp, commented it out including the following "exit"
line (thought that might me get a bit further - not knowing the tiniest
bit about DVD writing).

If you simply get rid of exit, you ignore the return code from OPC, while the idea is to skip the OPC command altogether. Look for "opc:" label in growisofs_mmc.cpp followed by "if (!dvddash) return 0;". Comment away if clause e.g. as "/* if (!dvddash)*/ return 0;".

:-[ WRITE@LBA=8d0h failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output
error

What most likely happens is that you ignored OPC error at startup, unit filled the buffer and only then accounted the deferred error to WRITE command.

I suppose that's because i messed up the whole OPC thing and didn't turn
it off properly, can someone tell me how to do this correctly? I
recommend a switch in further versions of dvd+rw-tools that allows to
switch off OPC, do you think this is possible?

Most things are possible, but I insist on making such changes based on something more that "it would be nice," so bear with me.

And I would love to know why Nero doesn't have a problem
with OPC on the very same medium.

The working theory is that it doesn't ask to perform OPC. A.