Re: Bad media?

Is it possible that growisofs can't write on a certain type of media
while Nero can? I don't have problems with Nero, but when using
growisofs (via k3b) I'm always getting the message

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user
request...
:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error

even with the very same DVD (simulation failed in k3b but succeded in
Nero).

Even same unit? I mean is it dual-boot system or do you attempt same media in two different burners? Well, it might appear as dumb question, but what you say is rather extraordinary, so I have to ask...

I usually thought this error message indicates bad media or media
that is not supported by the writer's firmware,

So did I. 3/73/03 stands for "POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR" and is considered as "serious offence." What happens if you minimize the recording speed with -speed=1? As for error per se. There were couple of reports that skiping OPC [by modifying the code] helps some units, but I failed to find any regularity in reports. OPC by itself is poorly documented, so I'm not sure if it's required or "right thing" to do in all situations [as discussed at the end of http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/-RW/]. A.