cdrecord problems with TDK 440n DVD+/-rw

Hi there,

  I'm having problems burning cds with my TDK 440n DVD+/-rw drive,
burning dvds with growisofs works fine.  It's not the drive's hardware,
as I've tested burning cds in windows on another box and it's working
ok.  Burning cds with cdrecord did work in the past, but I've since
updated cdrecord, updated my kernel from 2.4.x to 2.6.x, changed from
ide-scsi to atapi, and updated the drives firmware before i noticed cd
burning wasn't working any more, so it's hard to track down what the
problem is, below is the output of dmesg when burning followed by
cdrecord's output.  Please CC me any replies as I'm not subscribed to
the list, thanks everyone!

dmesg:

hdc: status error: error=0x04Aborted Command
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

cdrecord:

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
de                                                      pendent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a32 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-200                                                      4 Jörg
Schilling
scsidev: 'ATAPI:0,0,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be
unma                                                      intained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'TDK     '
Identifikation : 'DVDRW0404N      '
Revision       : '1.0A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include
DVD-R/DVD-RW
support code.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for
cd                                                      record-ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are
a                                                      t
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in real TAO mode for single
s                                                      ession.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds.
Operation                                                       starts.
Turning BURN-Free off
cdrecord: faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out.
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 400.213s timeout 40s
write track data: error after 0 bytes
cdrecord: A write error occured.
cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd:
retr                                                      yable error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0xa (Reserved)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 80 26
6                                                      6
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of
becomin                                                      g ready)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) operation 14% done
cmd finished after 0.006s timeout 40s
cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd:
retr                                                      yable error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0xa (Reserved)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 80 2A
A                                                      A
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of
becomin                                                      g ready)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) operation 16% done
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
cdrecord: Input/output error. flush cache: scsi sendcmd:
retryabl                                                      e error
CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0xa (Reserved)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 80 2A
A                                                      A
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of
becomin                                                      g ready)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) operation 16% done
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 120s
Trouble flushing the cache
cdrecord: Cannot fixate disk.

-Dan "OverrideX"-
ICQ: 7171522
AIM: OverrideX
Jabber: OverrideX@jabber.org

"How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars." -- Steve
Martin