Re: Calculating size of iso image

Nick >>>  have struck problems in calculating the space required.
me >> Currently i am undecided wether it is better to use
me >> mkisofs -print-size
me >> or the size obtained by function stat() plus 1400 bytes.
Joerg > The correct method is to use mkisofs -print-size everything else is
Joerg > reading from the coffee grounds......

For larger trees, i agree with you. But with a long list of
single files the combined size will be heavily overestimated.
(A reason for having such a list may be incremental backup.
Be praised for option -path-list on this occasion.)

My current method is to use  mkisofs -print-size  for directories
and stat.st_size+1400 for single files. Not to forget the reserve
space.

Any pointer to better methods would be welcome.

Nick > Oh dear, I so much prefer to drink tea :-)

Darjeeling ?

Nick > So perhaps to solve the problem involves a thorough
Nick > understanding of iso9660, Joliet and Rock Ridge standards.

A thorough understanding of mkisofs' understanding of said
standards, to be exacting.

> A quick look at the mkisofs code indicates that I won't be
> able to finish that before I have to go to work this morning.

May i predict that you will end up with an own implementation of
an ISO filesystem generator if you follow that road ?

Whatever, i will watch your adventures, if you permit.