Re: Calculating size of iso image

Dear Folks,

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 03:48:21PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >From: scdbackup@gmx.net
>

> >>  have struck problems in calculating the space required.
>
> >Who doesn't ?
>
> >Currently i am undecided wether it is better to use
> > mkisofs -print-size
> >or the size obtained by function stat() plus 1400 bytes.
> >(This number was found by try and error when i had to replace
> >du -sk  as size measurer for afio.)
>
> >Regrettably the size of an mksiofs output tree is not the sum
> >of the sizes of its subtrees. Usually it is smaller but i had
> >occasions when the backup became slightly larger than planned.
>
> The correct method is to use mkisofs -print-size everything else is
> reading from the coffee grounds......

Oh dear, I so much prefer to drink tea :-)

Seriously, giving mkisofs -print-size a long list of files to
iteratively determine the number of files to include may possibly be
suboptimal.  So perhaps to solve the problem involves a thorough
understanding of iso9660, Joliet and Rock Ridge standards.  Oh dear, I
was hoping someone might be able to spare me some of that.  A quick
look at the mkisofs code indicates that I won't be able to finish that
before I have to go to work this morning.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Proud member of the Dept. of Information & Communications Technology,