Re: 100% system CPU usage with cdrecord

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 06:02:52PM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Dma *IS* enabled:

With Linux 2.4, it's only enabled if the sector size is a multiple of
512. So you can have DMA for writing data CDs, but not audio or VCD,
for example. So this could be your problem. I don't see if you mentioned
what exactly you are burning?

Without DMA, it seems your southbridge pretty much determines how
fast your burns can go and there's a point where things really start
to tax the CPU. For example, with the old VIA 686b I got about 14x max
and a totally bogged down system. At 12x, no problems. Swapped
motherboard to a SiS745 based and 16x burns were suddenly no problem.

Due to some other mysterious 2.4 Linux problem, I went to 2.6 soon after,
DMA works there if you use the ATAPI interface for burning.