Re: dvdrtools and dvd+rw-tools problems and suggestions

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

> >> Please keep in mind that most of information appearing on dvd+rw-tools
> >> page regarding particular model support is based on user feedback.
> >> DVR-A04 was reported by somebody as working [after DVR-A05 actually].
>

> >Is that the same unit as the
> >  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-RW  DVR-104  Rev: 1.40
> >if memory serves. I no longer have my actual A04 unit, it got
> >"redeployed" in the test process, but I thought that this was
> >essentially the same unit. My "real A04" did work, using ide-scsi under
> >2.4.2x Linux kernels.
>
> Maybe you are hit by the same bug I did observe a year ago with a Pioneer
> drive:
>
> The drive did reject a SCSI command with "illegal field in CDB" when
> doing some tests with Linux. After I did boot the same hardware
> with SCO UnixWare-7.1.3 everything worked fine. After going back to Linux,
> it dod fail again.
>
> Conclusion: Linux seems to sometimes bastardize SCSI commands it sends to ATAPI
> drives.

Thank you for the suggestion. Was that with 2.4 (ide-scsi) or 2.6 (ATAPI:
or ide-scsi)?

I'm working on capturing the commands used to enable HD_BURN for one of my
recent drives, since that seems like a cost effective feature. Obviously
having Linux edit the command for me will not make it easier to get a
patch working.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc