*nix flash utility for BTC DVD recorders

I got tired of having to move my BTC 1008 from my Alpha to a Windows
machine to update the firmware (especially since BTC seems to be
releasing updates quite often), so I made a flasher for *nix. It uses
transport.hxx from Andy Polyakov's dvd+rw-tools to talk to the drive,
so it should work on any system that dvd+rw-tools works on.

You'll need the firmware in an Intel hex-like format, which you should
be able to find somewhere in the Windows\Temp directory after running
BTC's flash utility (so you'll still need access to a Windows machine;
you just don't need the drive to be in one).

I've only tested it on my particular setup, a DEC Alpha running NetBSD
2.0 beta and a BTC 1008 drive, and it was able to update my drive from
0557 to 0258. However, I think it should also work with the other BTC
recorders too.

The file is available at http://www.bga.com/~khym/btcflash.cpp

Put it in the same directory as the rest of dvd+rw-tools and compile
it with whatever options are used for the other tools (in my case,
"c++ -O2 -D__unix -fno-exceptions -o btcflash btcflash.cpp")

Run it as "btcflash /dev/cdrom firmware.hex". It will display the
drive model and firmware version and ask if you want to flash the
drive. Type "YES" (in caps) to start the process. It takes about 50
seconds or so... afterwards, it'll show you the firmware version
again; hopefully, it'll have been updated.

Use at your own risk! I do not accept any responsibility or liability
for anything that happens from your use of this utility. It does not
make any attempt to verify that you're trying to flash a BTC drive, or
that the drive is the correct model; make sure you have the right
firmware for your drive, and that you haven't given the path to the
wrong drive!
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 28 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++