Re: Best way to write DVD+R? growisofs ?

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:15:16AM +0200, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> If below dvd+rw-mediainfo output is for resulting recording, then I'd
> say that it means only one thing: poor media support by your firmware
> (or poor media quality).

Another media that my Sony don't want to write to :-(

>                                   ^ Everything that follows / is kind of
> common suffix [same suffixes can be observed from different media
> manufacturers]. As far as I understand this suffix is used to pick laser
> power from a table in firmware. This means that new suffix might require
> a firmware upgrade. And it's first time I observe /0R...

I think I already got the latest firmware from Sony...

> You *might* help to minimize the write speed with -speed=1. Note that
> elder versions of growisofs didn't even try to control DVD+R recording
> velocity, so you might have to upgrade. Keep in mind that -speed=1
> essentially means "pick *lowest* speed among those offered by unit,"
> meaning that you can observe that recording will still be performed at
> higher velocity.

I'll try that one :-)

>                           ^^^^^ This is the very reason why I wrote "if
> this dvd+rw-mediainfo output is for resulting recording, it means poor
> media support or poor media." It looks as if the unit filled the buffer,
> but didn't actually managed to record a single sector to the media. A.

In case it works with -speed=1, I'll report here :-)

Thank you very much,

	Grégoire
http://algebra.epfl.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:Gregoire.Favre@freesurf.ch