Re: dvd+rw tools error message

On Thursday 29 January 2004 14:05, James Finnall wrote:
> Follow-up information.
>
> I am building a Linux gateway server for a client that uses a DVD+RW drive
> for the backup system.  It uses the dvd+rw-tools as well.  It is running
> 5.17 that I just installed.
>
> I was NOT able to duplicate this problem.  Growisofs wrote to the drive
> just fine while it was bound to the raw device.  There are numerous
> differences between this machine and my workstation.  But there is a big
> difference that could have an effect I can think of, are the kernel
> patches.  This machine only has the one DVD+RW patch to work with sdd.  My
> machine that this reported error was produced on has the DVD+RW patch plus
> the libata patch to support SATA controllers. Both are 2.4.24 kernels. Both
> are Slackware 9.1 based systems.
>
> So this may be almost impossible to duplicate.  I will try to confirm if
> the libata kernel patch will reproduce the error because I am just
> guessing.  But maybe still not really able to identify because this machine
> does not have SATA controllers installed.
>
> James

More Followup:

I copied my workstation kernel down to this machine and attempted to use
growisofs while the device was bound to the raw1 device.  With unformatted
media installed it simply reported an error that the write had failed.  With
formatted media it recorded normally.

Was not very conclusive because the same the error message was not produced.
I expect to have this machine at least until sometime next week before I
deliver to my client.   I will see if I can determine where the difference is
actually at that will reproduce the error message.

James