Re: DVD Compatiblity issue

First of all note that 5.17 is strongly recommended update for those who
deploy 5.14 through 5.16. It addresses problems with DVD-dash recordings
performed with -dvd-compat option, i.e. very kind of recordings you're
referring to. I apologize for inconvenience, but do upgrade.

Now to wrap up directly.

DVD-R media recorded in Optorite DD0203 unit with -dvd-video option with
growisofs 5.16. This media can not be accessed in Optorite (SANYO
derivate) nor HP dvd300n (NEC  derivative), but is accessible in HP
dvd100j (Ricoh derivative) and some other legacy DVD-ROM/-Video units.
Wow!

If Optorite fails to read own media, while legacy units can, Optorite is
the culprit. I can only suggest to lower the recording speed with
-speed=1 and if it doesn't help, switch to another media brand.

> I did notice from the units that will acknowledge the media; the
> older units identify the "mounted media" as 10h DVD-ROM and the
> Optorite as 11h, DVD-R sequential.  I do not know if this is
> considered normal

Yes, this is perfectly normal. All media which is not recognized by any
particular unit as recordable will appear as DVD-ROM in "GET
CONFIGURATION."

Oh! In vast majority of cases non-verbose dvd+rw-mediainfo output is
more than sufficient. Let's say that verbose outputs should be provided
upon explicit demand only. A.