Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

> cdrecord development
> was then suspended for a while, and Andy Polyakov made dvd+rw-tools
> (growisofs) which is mainly meant for DVD+ drives, and is open
> source under the GPL.

cdrecord release schedule was never a driving force for dvd+rw-tools, it
was availability of technology and personal curiosity. First version of
growisofs (which was released in Nov 2001, shortly after DVD+RW was
introduced to the market) relied solely on kernel support and was a
front-end to mkisofs and dd (you should realize now why it still prints
"executing builtin_dd if=...":-). The idea of growing ISO9660 volumes
appeared appealing enough to carry on with development and get rid of
kernel support dependency (2nd version). The new code became natural
base for DVD+R support in 3rd version, released in spring 2002 (shortly
after DVD+R was introduced to the market). By the end of 2002 after
having a DVD- vs. DVD+ dispute on this list I to my great surprise found
out that DVD- technology is hardly explored: there were *no* Unix
applications supporting DVD- multi-sessioning or DVD-RW Restricted
Overwrite. That's how 5th version of dvd+rw-tols came into the picture
in January 2003. Later on DAO support was added, first in order to
facilitate for recording of minimally blanked DVD-RW media, and then
extended even to DVD-R upon demand from K3b team.

> It seems to work very well, and is well-supported.

Thank you. A.