Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

>From magliery@csb.yale.edu  Tue Jan 27 23:13:34 2004

>Um, thanks for the info on dvdrecord, but I really need to know (1) why the
>program (cdrecord-ProDVD) isn't working and (2) if there is a quick way to
>remove cdrtools from /usr/local (see below for both).

The drive works fine for me on Linux 2.4.10-4GB, if it does not work for you
there are only a few possible reasons left over:

-	A Linux kernel bug

-	Bad IDE cables

-	disabled DMA (unlilekely with 36 Byte transfer size)

-	Another bad program that we did not yet find.

	Note that you told me that you made a test in single user mode which
	failed because another program was running that would not run
	in single user mode if the machine was configured correctly....

-	a broken drive.

Note that _exactly_ the same command does _not_ fail on my Linux system.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling