RE: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

> The drive works fine for me on Linux 2.4.10-4GB
Are you using the 708A?  Because I'm actually using the 708UF.  It's the
same drive, but with a USB2.0/firewire interface.  Could the problem be with
USB2.0?  Sadly, I don't have a firewire port on this PC, but I can drop in
an Audigy soundcard with one from anther rig, if you think this might be
helpful.

> if it does not work for you
> there are only a few possible reasons left over:
>
> -	A Linux kernel bug
Do you think the "kernel: cdrom" message that was repeated from the KDE
automounter might suggest that the cdrom module is having a problem?

> -	Bad IDE cables
As I said, this is not an IDE drive.  Since growisofs works, this sort of
thing seems unlikely.

> -	disabled DMA (unlikely with 36 Byte transfer size)
Again, since I can write at 4X with growisofs, I don't see how this would be
possible.  Growisofs did crash on me the first time I used it when I didn't
specify the speed and it tried to go at 8X, but it's worked without fail at
4X.

> -	Another bad program that we did not yet find.
>
> 	Note that you told me that you made a test in single user mode which
> 	failed because another program was running that would not run
> 	in single user mode if the machine was configured correctly....
I am no linux expert--this is the first time I used single user mode.  When
I start this way (by editing the kernel line in grub and booting) I get a
command prompt (runlevel 1) after some things initialize.  Here, I tried
cdrecord-ProDVD from the command line, and it gives the same error.  There
are no kernel messages, because the kernel journal demon has not started
yet.  When I type exit, it finishes what appears to be a normal startup
(runlevel 5).  I tried again and got the same error.  This is the log you
saw (/var/log/messages). Basically, I don't think another program is
interfering.

I actually didn't say that the test failed in single user mode because
another program was running.  It just failed.  At the same time, KDE autorun
was having problems outside of single user mode.

> -	a broken drive.
Again, since growisofs works, I doubt this, but perhaps cdrecord avails
itself of some facility that growisofs ignores.  Is this the case?  In other
words, WHY would growisofs either not have or not be stopped by this error,
while cdrecord is?  Recall that cdrecord is fine with blank CD-Rs using the
same drive.

I will also try using the drive with Nero on a WinXP machine.  I'll also buy
a DVD-R and test it.  But I'm currently betting it's a cdrom or scsi module
(i.e., kernel) problem that doesn't bother growisofs for some reason, or a
USB2.0 problem that doesn't bother growisofs, or a problem with cdrecord and
one of these things.  I have no idea how to troubleshoot this, though--it's
not like I'm going to reprogram the cdrom module.  Suggestions?

Getting back to the original emails on this, I get the following:
===========================
cdrecord.prodvd: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB: 51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 240s
cdrecord.prodvd: Cannot get disk type.
============================

While you get:
============================
Executing 'read disk info' command on Bus 0 Target 0, Lun 0 timeout 240s
CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 00
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 240s
Got 36 (0x24), expecting 36 (0x24) bytes of data.
Received Data:  00 22 00 01 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 23 05 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Can you tell me what this means?

Thanks,
Tom