Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

> Magicdev is a daemon that runs within the GNOME environment and
> detects when a CD is removed or inserted. Magicdev handles running
> autorun programs on the CD

Ick - insert CD, run a program on it. Sounds like desaster to me.
Thanks for the warning.

I'm using KDE, it's never given any trouble. To mount an inserted CD or
to play it, one has to click on the drive's desktop icon.

> If there's anyone here actually using magicdev or autofs, more
> information on how to see if it's running and how to configure it

I've been using autofs for years. It's a filesystem(!) which is
permanently mounted under /misc. The filesystem is empty. In
/etc/auto.misc you configure lines like

 cd  -fstype=auto,ro   :/dev/cdrom

When accessing the non-existing /misc/cd, autofs does a mkdir /misc/cd
and mounts the CD there. After a configurable period of inactivity, it
unmounts the CD and removes /misc/cd. It's an automounter which mounts
on access. It can mount any filesystem incl windows shares. There is
never any interference with CD burning, unless one is silly enough to
access /misc/cd during a burn. It's a system daemon, i.e. started via
init.d.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.