Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

On Tue 27 January 2004 00:51, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> From: Lourens Veen <lourens@rainbowdesert.net>
>
> >On Fri 23 January 2004 20:39, Thomas J Magliery PhD wrote:
> >> Joerg, I only can detect one message in single-user mode, and
> >> it's not too helpful:
> >>
> >> ============================
> >> Jan 23 14:23:09 reganlinux kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't
> >> have any tracks I recognize!
> >> Jan 23 14:23:40 reganlinux last message repeated 31 times
> >>
> >> This is from /var/log/messages.  I can't find anything else
> >> that seems to be relvent anywhere else.  Just in case, at the
> >> end of my email is the whole contents of /var/log/messages
> >> from my last restart...
> >
> >Well, actually it is. I dropped it into Google, and it turns out
> >that this error comes from magicdev. From what I understand,
> >magicdev is the GNOME automounter. Try setting it to not do
> >anything automatically in Nautilus, or just kill the process and
> >see if that helps.
>
> Please give us more information.

I can't I'm afraid, I don't use GNOME, and I don't use any kind of
automounter either. I read something in an email in a web mail
archive that talked about disabling automounting for a device. I
figure you can just right-click on it in Nautilus and change some
settings, but I've never used Nautilus. Debian has the following to
say about magicdev:

"Package: magicdev (1.1.5-1)
A GNOME daemon for automatically mounting/playing CDs

Magicdev is a daemon that runs within the GNOME environment and
detects when a CD is removed or inserted. Magicdev handles running
autorun programs on the CD, updating the File Manager, and playing
audio CDs."

So my above statement was inaccurate, it's not a generic
automounter.

> Volume management inside KDE or GNOME is completely wrong - it
> does not belong into a GUI.

Well, I haven't looked at it in-depth, but it seems to me that
magicdev is an independent daemon that knows about GNOME and what
to do when it detects a CD in a drive. It's distributed with GNOME,
and provides services to it, but that's it. And calling KDE or
GNOME a GUI is a bit of an understatement too; they're a lot more
powerful and complex than say, CDE.

I agree that it would be better to have this in a separate subsystem
though, which could be accessible through HAL
(http://www.ometer.com/hardware.html).

> As more and more people get such problems, it would be nice to
> have an easy to understand desription for recognising the
> procress from a ps output and what to do to get rid of at least
> the problems with the burner.

From what I've found on the web, to turn off magicdev people just
uninstall it. Magicdev can be recognised from the above error
message "This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!".

Then there is autofs
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/autofs/?topic_id=142, can't find a
real homepage) and KDE uses fam (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/),
however I don't think fam actually mounts devices by itself, it
just watches files. I use (parts of) KDE myself and fam is almost
always running; it's never given me any problems with writing CDs.

If there's anyone here actually using magicdev or autofs, more
information on how to see if it's running and how to configure it
to stay away from CD writers would be very much appreciated

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key