Re: growisofs problem

> I had a Sony DRU-510A DCD+/-RW drive on SuSE 9.0, and it worked
> fine, until it died. I replaced it with a TDK indiDV+/-RW 440N drive,
> and now I can't burn DVD+R disc.
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z  /dev/sr0=/home/user/tmp/temp.iso
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/user/tmp/temp.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
> 0/3486197760 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> 0/3486197760 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
>
> :-[ LBA=40h, SENSE KEY=5h/ASC=21h/ASCQ=02h ]

"INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE" already at LBA=40h? This is utterly
strange...

> :-( write failed: Input/output error
>
> /dev/sr0: flushing cache
> /dev/sr0: closing track
> /dev/sr0: closing disc
> /dev/sr0: reloading tray

Complement your report with versioning information and dvd+rw-mediainfo
output for resulting recording. But I'd blaim an automounting facility
for this failure already now. In case you wonder how come it was working
with SONY, but stopped with TDK. TDK is NEC derivative and NEC firmware
is known for making "holes" at least in DVD+R recordings under certain
curcumstances. Most notably, if you issue READ TOC between two WRITEs,
it sometimes "toasts" one ECC block of 32KB. And when READ TOC is
issued? Upon every open(2). And who calls open(2)? Some automounting
facility, such as magicdev or similar... A.