Re: Problems burning CD-R's with Plextor PX-708A and cdrecord

>I have several thoughts, although none quaifies as an "explanation." If
>you are using any kernel but a 2.6.x AFAIK the audio mode doesn't use
>DMA. You may also need the latest 2.01a25 cdrtools for that, but you are
>using that version, hopefully built with patching to actually find and
>use the kernel include files for the running kernel.

Only halfway correct as most of your replies in the past :-(

The fact that the interfaces used for generic SCSI to ATAPI drives
don't use DMA if the transfer size is not a multipe of 512 is known
for a long time. Unfortunately, the "important" Linux kernel poeple
are not really interested to fix this bug - they even admid that
they don't own a CD/DVD writer and don't plan to buy one :-(

Last year, I did again send oud a bug report......

... the result was _not_ to fix the known bugs but to first introduce
a new unneeded new interface that in the first attempt did have the same
DMA bug! Later, they did fix the DMA bug only in the unneeded new interface.

Call it how you like, my impression is that this is pure evilness.

As the fact of not having DMA for audio transfers is bug, the fact that
it is possible to have DMA with an unneeded interface on Linux-2.6 is not
a feature but just an incomplete fix for a bug.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling