Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

>From rob23@tmr.com  Fri Jan 23 14:07:13 2004

>>>attached there is  a patch to make cdrtools 2.01 compatible to Linux
>>>2.6.1.
>>>If the patch is not needed for some distros, which are assembled
>>>somehow, it does not harm anything...
>>>

>>Why should I add a wrong definition that would _break_ compilation
>>once the Linux kernel include files are fixed?
>>
>>If you like to get a fix, go to the Linux Kernel people and request
>>a fix for their bugs!
>>

>Problems may be caused by common user errors like using kernel include
>files, particularly if it's done wrong by assuming that /usr/src/linux
>points to the running kernel instead of the distribution kernel. It also
>results silly end-user issues, such as generating an executable which
>will only run on a single kernel series, like 2.0, 22, 2.4, 2.6, but
>doesn't have kernel detection built in or include the kernel series in
>the executable name so the user can select the correct version.

Please don't comment things you obviously don't really understand.

1)	The include files on /usr/src/linux have been absolutely needed for a long
	time to be able to compile at all.

2)	The include files under /usr/src/linux are definitely more recent
	resp. closer to the currently run kernel than what typically is under
	/usr/include

3)	I am writing portable software. This means that it is portable
	even between different Linux versions.

4)	What people like Linus Torvalds tell me on how I should compile,
	is definitely much much more incorrect than what I am currently doing.

5)	The problems are a result of _inconsistent_ unclude files in
	/usr/src/linux, which I call a clear Bug that needs to be fixed.

6)	If you did ever try to write a program that uses interfaces that
	need /usr/src/linux to compile and run correctly you would probably
	never repeat the wrong statements from people from LKML.

><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Keinen HTML Muell bitte!
No HTML junk please!

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling