Re: Sony DRU-510A, cannot burn dvd's on Solaris9 x386

> >> This is definitely wrong!
>
> It is obvious that "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE" is a possible
> result of a buffer underun.

Do I have to explain the difference between "buffer overruns" and
"buffer underruns?" I wrote "buffer *underruns* are denoted as depicted
in originating post." And what did orignating post say? "INVALID ADDRESS
FOR WRITE!"

> I don't know what you mean by handling buffer underrun transparently in an
> application?

It surely depends on the fact you didn't care to *read*. I wrote "buffer
*overruns* are handled transparently," and not "buffer *underruns* are
handled transparently." Also note that my "how do you come to conclusion
that it's overrun condition?" was addressed to the requestor who stated
"it's buffer *overrun*," not to you.

> Please tell me why you are constantly writing wrong things trying people
> to convince that DAO mode is worse then the packet Mode used by DVD+?

I can't remember myself saying that DAO is worse. I said that other
modes, both non-DAO DVD- and DVD+ ones, are more *practical*, yet
provide for *adequate* compatibility with legacy DVD-ROM. In addition I
maintain that DVD+ is more practical/easier to deploy than DVD-. My
standpoint is and has always been that any technology deserve a trial
and noone should jump to conclusions before that actually give it a real
try.

> If you don't know enough about the behaviour of DVD- drives just stay silent.

I will if somebody else will tell me that I knew too little about DVD-
to implement support for DVD- multi-sessioning, Incremental Recording
and Restricted Overwrite.

> >> My tests with burnproof active did show that it works for DVD SAO writing.
>
> >We have discussed this already. My experiments with initial SONY 500
> >firmware has shown opposite, at least with real(!) recording. It most
>
> Well, then the Sony just has a broken firmware.

As already mentioned one can argue with that, because buffer underrun
protection appears to be *optional* in DAO. Once again the exact quote
from latest Mt.Fuji draft (found at Pioneer site) is "If a buffer
under-run occurs [during DAO recording], the logical unit shall stop
writing immediately and the logical unit shall start writing of
Lead-out."

> Why should there
> be a buffer underrun protection mechanism if not to exactly protect
> against the only write mode that would suffer from BUs?
              ^^^^ ??? Increments recorded in Incremental recording mode
is subject to/affected by buffer underruns in *exact* same degree/way as
DAO. Keep in mind that a increment can be as large as track.

> why then do you constantly insist
> in writing that growisofs is better?

This is just unreasonable. Can you or anybody else actually quote *me*
saying that "growisofs is better?" I have expressed my preferences for
some technology or recording strategy. I could have said/implied that
"growisofs is more practical," but can you or anybody else actually
maintain that the latter would be a groundless statement? A.