Re: Sony DRU-510A, cannot burn dvd's on Solaris9 x386

>From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

>> from all the tests I've run .. I know it's a buffer overrun.

>Buffer overruns are *not* denoted with "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE," and
>should be handled by application transparently. *Unhandled* buffer
>underruns in turn *are* denoted as depicted in originating post. How do
>you come to the conclusion that it's overrun condition?

This is definitely wrong!

Depending on the firmware, several different error codes are possible.

"INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE," is one of them.

Sometimes drives even use this code if they cannot deal with the medium.

>> I'm represently
>> using DVD-R media. Would another media perform better?

Of course! The firmware of the Sony drive is known to have problems with
several media. If you like to write to any medium, you would better have
bought a Pioneer drive. Pioneer puts a lot of work in investigating for
best OPC strategies. This is something that raises the price of the drives.

>If your system is subject to buffer underruns, another recording stategy
>might do the trick as well. As previously mentioned, buffer underrun
>protection appears to be optional for the recording strategy supported
>by cdrecord-ProDVD, namely DAO. growisofs on the other hand defaults to
>Incremental recording, where buffer underrun is mandatory: "If BUFE bit
>is set to 1 [and] the logical unit detects buffer under-run, the logical
>unit *shall* perform the Lossless-Link." As for using DVD+ instead.
>Buffer underrun protection is unconditionally on (can't be switched off)
>in all DVD+ recordings.

It is relatively easy to prove the oposite!

My tests with burnproof active did show that it works for DVD SAO writing.
The recording strategy used by growisofs gives less compatibility as
it does not write in SAO mode.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling