Re: SONY DRU500-AX and TDK DVD+R 4X problem

> ust wanted to tell you that after putting a 80-wire cable, and making my
> DVD writer slave from master, now I get the following messages...
>
> Kernel:
> hdb: DMA timeout retry
> hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
> hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hdb: status timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
> hdb: drive not ready for command
> hdb: ATAPI reset complete
> cdrom_newpc_intr: 32768 residual after xfer
>
> :-( unable to WRITE@LBA=8d0h: Input/output error
                          ^^^^ At this LBA unit stalls for some time. It
takes extra time to initially "ignite" the recording process so that in
the beginning the unit simply sucks in the data to the buffer at IDE bus
rate. And as this goes virutally instantly in comparison to the time it
takes to "ignite" the recording, transfer is bound to stall at some
point. LBA=8d0h denotes this first stall. Log above suggests that
process stalls for too long. What does it mean? It might indicate a
kernel bug or poor media support by unit firmware. There also is
possibility that unit is simply defective...

>  Media ID:              RICOHJPN/R01

Ricoh branded media is one of most widely used and should be properly
supported by firmware. Have you ever succeeded to record any DVD? Last
time I suggested to debug eventual kernel and configuration problems
with DVD+RW media. A.