Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

>From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

>> I have a Plextor PX-708UF (USB 2.0) on a Red Hat Linux 9 machine.
>>
>> cdrecord.prodvd: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: no error
>> CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 00
>                                ^^ I don't know if following holds true
>for other USB implementations, but Linux USB is very picky about

First: Cdrecord added support to circumvent Linux USB DMA Bugs about
3.5 years ago.

In contrary to many other known software, cdrecord uses the official way
(documented in the SCSI standard) to find the right DMA transfer size
for structures of unknown lenght.

This happens, if you run the command with a DVD+R medium while
the Kernel SCSI transport is working correctly to the Plextor 708:

Executing 'read disk info' command on Bus 0 Target 0, Lun 0 timeout 240s
CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 00
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 240s
Got 36 (0x24), expecting 36 (0x24) bytes of data.
Received Data:  00 22 00 01 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 23 05 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

>> I can burn the same iso with growisofs.

>USB deficiency mentioned above was addressed in dvd+rw-tools in August
>2002.

Cdrecord knows to deal with the Linux USB bugs twice as long as DVD+RW tools
exist. This is definitely not a cdrecord problem!

>>  Xcdroast otherwise works

>Note that there're GUI front-ends to growisofs too...

People who used Xcdroast once, mostly don't like to use other GUIs anymore.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling