Re: cdrecord and scsi-3 compliance

Carsten Neumann wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Rob Bogus wrote:

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Well, portability in a quality as with my software takes a lot of effort.

Speaking for cdrecord, the change not really needed as no writer uses
something differnt from lun 0.

Does this mean that if a real SCSI burner is used with a LUN of >0 it
doesn't work with your software, or some part of the standard says it
must be zero, or you have never seen one jumperd for non-zero, or ???

I would call it (close to) impossible to jumper the LUN of such a SCSI
device at all! ;-)

One can imagine burners w/ disc change mechanism, although I've never seen one,
and the LUNs will be hardwired...

I have some (admitedly old) CD readers with micro-jumpers about 2mm wide to set the LUN, and I've used SCSI drives with pads to solder a jumper, so I would not be surprised to find that some SCSI burners still have LUN jumpers. I have to take apart a pait of systems with SCSI burners in the next few days, a Phillips 2600 and a Sony(?) in the other. I'll look, now that you have me curious.
bubba:davidsen> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-R   CW-7502   Rev: 4.17
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 25501-XXX Rev: 2.73
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 01
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-R   PX-W8432T Rev: 1.05
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So there are Plextor and Matshita drives in that one, as well as a 4mm DAT and some 8mm tapes which are unplugged. I'll look for LUN jumpers when I rebuild two systems into a single functional system.
In any case, my question is if the software would support such.

Ha, I can ssh into the system which is still up, and it tells me:

--
E. Robert Bogusta
  It seemed like a good idea at the time