Re: cdrtools-2.01a24 ready

>From ubuedel@gmx.de  Wed Jan  7 23:39:56 2004

> > This allows to use cdrtools on NT without the need to install ASPI in
> > case you are administrator when yu run a program.

>I'm using NT4preSP7. Adaptec Aspi 4.60 is running. Normally I use
>Adaptec ASPI layer without administator rights to burn a CD.

If you call the last cdrecord with no admin rights, then it should
use ASPI because it is unable to open a SPTI file.

> > Please note that the use of SPTI is default.

>ASPI was default for several years. You changed this behavior.

ASPI was the only way to go before. If things work as expected, then
the change should not cause problems, but this is why there is a
test phase before a "final" release is published.

> > If you like to force using ASPI, use dev=ASPI:b,t,l or dev=ASPI
> > (in the -scanbus case).

>Now I'm using administrator rights and cygwin1.dll 1.5.5-cr-0x9b.

If you have administrator rights, then the code should first try SPTI.

>D:\>cdrecord -v dev=ASPI:1,1,0 blank=fast

>Ok, works.

>D:\>cdrecord dev=ASPI -scanbus
>Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a24 (i586-pc-cygwin) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
>Schilling
>scsidev: 'ASPI'
>devname: 'ASPI'
>scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>cdrecord: Invalid argument. Devname 'ASPI' unknown.. Cannot open SCSI
>driver.
>cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
>are root.
>cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

A bug, the code has not been completely written by me, I did only check for
the most obvious problems and reformatted acording to usual indentation
rules.

Did you try: cdrecord dev=ASPI: -scanbus

Please test the patch below....

>D:\>cdrecord  -scanbus
>Blue screen of death; well, broken OS. I got the same result on three
>different computers with NT4.

OK, you already mentioned it: if the OS dies, this is a OS bug.
But as other authors have been able to hack similar things, there should
be a way to prevent this from happening.

	Anybody has an idea or can help?

>W2k with SPTI works without problems (cdrecord -scanbus and cd burning).

OK, thank you for the report.

I did check it on Win98 and it works out of fhe box with

cdrecord -scanbus

it prints an error message if you call: cdrecord -scanbus dev=SPTI

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
------- scsi-wnt.c -------
*** /tmp/sccs.TNaGVX    Do Jan  8 15:01:43 2004
--- scsi-wnt.c  Do Jan  8 15:01:29 2004
***************
*** 688,700 ****
                return (-1);
        }

!       if ((device != NULL && *device != '\0' && strcmp(device, "SPTI") != 0
&& strcmp(device, "ASPI") != 0) || (busno == -2 && tgt == -2)) {
                errno = EINVAL;
                if (scgp->errstr)
                        js_snprintf(scgp->errstr, SCSI_ERRSTR_SIZE,
!                               "Devname '%s' unknown.", device);
                return (-1);
        }
        if (AspiLoaded <= 0) {  /* do not change access method on open driver */
                bForceAccess = FALSE;
  #ifdef PREFER_SPTI
--- 688,706 ----
                return (-1);
        }

!       if (device != NULL &&
!           (strcmp(device, "SPTI") == 0 || strcmp(device, "ASPI") == 0) &&
!           (busno < 0 && tgt < 0 && lun < 0))
!               goto devok;
!
!       if ((device != NULL && *device != '\0') || (busno == -2 && tgt == -2)) {
                errno = EINVAL;
                if (scgp->errstr)
                        js_snprintf(scgp->errstr, SCSI_ERRSTR_SIZE,
!                               "Open by 'devname' not supported on this OS");
                return (-1);
        }
+ devok:

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling