Adding recovery information to mkisofs

Hello.  How does mkisofs determine where on the CD to place files?  Is
there any way to influence where it places them?

The reason why I ask is that I'd like to use Par2 (
http://parchive.sourceforge.net/ )  to add recovery information to all
the unused space on the CDs I burn.  In theory, given enough recovery
information, a CD could sustain serious damage and still be able to
produce 100% of the data on it.

Here's what I'm playing with:

Let's say you have a collection of files:

     A, C, M, Z

You then run Par2 on them to generate recovery volumes:

     A, C, M, Z, recover.par2, recover.vol0+1.par2, ...

Now, I'd like to use mkisofs to interleave the files and recovery
volumes across the CD, separating the recovery volumes spatially as much
as possible.  It doesn't matter what the recovery volumes are named or
where on the CD they are placed.

Right now Par2 doesn't work with subdirectories, so all files need to go
in the root directory.  This can change in the future (the Par2 spec
allows subdirectories, but the code hasn't been written yet).

Has anyone else done this before?  Thanks very much,

    - Scott