Re: Media problem with dvd+rw-tools-5.16.4.8.5

> this verbatim 2x dvd-r didn't work with 5.16.4.8.5:

You've got to work on your reports:-) As it was not trivial to correlate
the sequence of [failing] commands and conclusions you make:-) Starting
with this first line. You say "this media didn't work with 5.16:" and
after ":" present perfectly sane mediainfo output. You surely mean that
5.16 failed to record media *similar* to one you've recorded earlier
with 5.13, but then you should say just that. "This media didn't work:"
means "this is the very disc which didn't work," which was very
confusing. Note that dvd+rw-tools page explicitly say "attach mediainfo
for *resulting* recording." But enough whining:-) Let's assume that this
is mediainfo output for *previously* recorded media of same brand...

> ... didn't work with 5.16.4.8.5...
> I've lost the error message, but it was something like:
>
> :-! "COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR" @LBA 0h. Is media being read?
> :-! the LUN appears to be stuck at 0h, retrying in 5 secs...

This was brought up in
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003/cdwrite-200312/msg00159.html and
discussed in follow-ups. Unfortunately I can't assert that consensus was
reached there. The problem reportedly disappeared with kernel upgrade,
which I couldn't really accept as real explanation for the phenomena. So
far the failure is/believed to be "accounted" to some kind of
automounting facility, but it feels that it *might* turn out to be a
BTC-specific problem and a closer look might be required. So bear with
me...

> looping until process killing.
> I burned a 4x verbatim dvd-r with the same command line (growisofs -Z
> /dev/dvdrw -V TITLE -dvd-video ./) with 5.16.4.8.5 succesfully,

Does it mean that you can *reliably* reproduce the failure with 5.16
without -dvd-video option? Does it mean that you can confirm that 5.13
*never* exhibits this behaviour, with or without -dvd-video option?

> but the
> mediainfos are very different:

As documented, -dvd-video option automatically implies -dvd-compat
option. This means that write-once media will be mastered as
non-appendable. The latter is surely explanation for the differences in
mediainfo outputs. First output shows appendable media, second one -
closed directly after first session. Indeed (below is interleaved
output):

> READ DISC INFORMATION:
>  Disc status:           appendable
>  Disc status:           complete
> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
>  Track State:           invisible incremental
>  [not present in second output as disc is closed]

Both outputs are perfectly sane otherwise. A.