Re: Problem with growisofs 5.21 and Plextor PX-712A DVD writer

OK, sorry here are more details :

- the exact error message from growisofs was :

Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
INFO: ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
 Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
 use -input-charset to override.
/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /home/pms/projects/paraguay/disc1.iso is too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 169
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
/dev/hdc: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user request...
:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=5h/ASC=2Ch/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

- the drive is :
INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-712A  ][1.02]

- I indeed tried to set speed to 1x. It did not solve anything.
I also mentionned that cdrecord-prodvd 2.01b31 called from xcdroast was failing with
"cannot allocate memory" but, my fault, I think that it is because that version cannot burn
more than 1GB.

On the other hand, cdrecord 2.01-dvd run standalone is working fine. The DVD got burnt right.

PM

Andy Polyakov wrote:
I read several things on the net about DVD burning not working with k3b/growisofs
and Plextor drives, and I am facing the same issue :

OPC failed. Please try writing speed 1x.
Fatal error at startup: Input/output error

This doesn't look like authentic growisofs message. It's normally accompanied by numeric code, which might give an extra hint about the problem.

I am using growisofs 5.21, k3b version 0.11.14 and a DVD-R medium.
It does not seem to be a firmware problem since burning works fine on the same
drive and media with Nero6.

What media is it? http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ is specific about complementing problem report with dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording or affected media. And don't make anybody assume things. For example it adviced to try 1x. Did you? Did problem persist? Etc... A.