Re: c2scan of DVDs??

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 17:49, Markus Plail wrote:
> That's because tests showed that the Plextor drives are the only ones
> giving significant results, that correlate with the results given by
> really professional equipment. Instead of using the LiteOn drives you
> can also use a random number generator ;-)

Are you talking about personal tests or tests made by some "formal"
resource like Anandtech for example ??

If it is the second case, could I have the URLs please ?? :)
If it is the first case, could you please post some
graphs/plots/results ??

Well, I have run some personal tests myself with a Lite-ON recorder and
Kprobe, I have produced the plots for various media and tested the same
media on a number of DVD-ROM readers. I can at least tell that it is not
something like a random number generator. It might not be absolutely
exact, but the media which show up with a lot of PI/PO errors in the
plot indeed face reading problems, whereas the media with low PI/PO
errors are best recognized/ripped on the various dvd-readers.

:-/
And, well, I cannot accept just like that (without proof) that all these
people out there that post on forums like cdfreaks.com, do tests, try
various firmware versions, develop software for changing the firmware
burning strategies, even post "hackz" for firmware versions, ALL THIS
time have based their doings on something that behaves like a random
number generator.

I am not trying to be the troll here, but the PI/PO feature is a
sensitive matter. It's being a long while since dvd-recorders are on
the market and there are various "rumours" and "hacks" on the street.
I was always anxious to hear the "political correct" words from the
people I trust (which is the open source community). Time has come.

I believe people in this list when they say that Plextor's or XYZ's
feature is more worth than others' because I know you have the
knowledge, but IMHO it would be fair to also post the arguments for it.

This is essential because Linux (ok, even Solaris ;) users usually take
extra care when buying hardware and always prefer the Linux-friendly
hardware.

--
Kyritsis Athanasios <djart at linux.gr>

- What's your ONE purpose in life ?