Re: AW: Backup format to ISO?

GSR - FR wrote:

davidsen@tmr.com (2004-11-16 at 1245.39 -0500):
You could use GNU tar to unpack the archives, as gtar replaces / with ./ by
default,
taking away the double pain (at the cost of additional pain for using gtar
:)
Unfortunately the rooted backups are cpio format:
[...]
And there's no documented way to use tar on a cpio file, although cpio

The man page I have talks about --no-absolute-filenames, no chroot
tricks needed.

I had some odd problem with that, which is why I change to using the chroot. Given that I have the script working now, I may not bother to investigate unless it promises to provide some other advantage. But thanks for pointing that out, I'd forgotten it. I guess the best thing to do is to read the tapes into disk as is, then unpack and back up. Looking at the limitations of ISO9660 in terms of preserving information, I may back up as a table of contents and some archive file in any case.

Thanks to all for the input, it doesn't look as if there's a clean solution which avoids unpacking.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc