Von: cdwrite-request@other.debian.org
[mailto:cdwrite-request@other.debian.org]Im Auftrag von Bill Davidsen
Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. November 2004 17:09
An: Joerg Schilling
Cc: cdwrite@other.debian.org
Betreff: Backup format to ISO?

Do you know of any program which will accept tar or cpio format as input
and generates an ISO-9660 image for burning? I have a large box full of
4GB 4mm DAT tapes which should go on DVD, and they are in tar or cpio
format. Currently the only option is to unpack them to disk and then
create an image and burn it.

What I would like is:
  tar --> ISO --> ProDVD

The cpio tapes are rooted, so they are a double pain, they try to unpack
in / instead of "." as they should. This requires creative use of
chroot...

I considered using a DVD-RW and packet writing, but the documentation
certainly gives the impression that this method is not ready for
production use.

Additional info, I will almost certainly be paying someone by the hour
rather than the tape to do this, so avoiding the unpacking and repacking
process could really reduce the time it takes to do this!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc