Re: on Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K12RA

my DVD burner (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K12RA) seems to have some problems
when burning dvd-rw discs, although it burns CDs fine (my distribution is MDK 9.2 with kernel 2.4.22, scsi emulation, cdrecord-clone 2.01a38-dvd, k3b 0.10.3 and dvd+rw-tools 5.18.4.8.6). Since I have burned dvd-rw discs sucessfully before, I'm even afraid that the unit is somehow physically damaged. Is it possible that dvd burning part is damaged and the cd burning part works perfect?

As far as I understand yes, it's possible that circuitry engaged in DVD recording is broken, but not one engaged when you record CD. But "worked before, but not now" might as well turn out to be media brand/firmware problem. I mean it might as well be "it worked before with that media brand, but not now with this one," which would not in any way indicate a defective circuitry...

Although the laptop manufacturer (Acer) claims that the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K12RA only burns DVD-R(s), reading the document it seems that this burner is able to burn DVD+R(W)s also, isn't it?

The k3b 0.11.4 version which comes with MDK 10.1 RC1 provides in the device info that my dvd drive can burn DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W) discs.

The fact that K3b shows your unit as DVD+ capable means that your unit firmware reported that it's capable of DVD+recording. I mean K3b doesn't maintain a table which would say DVR-K12 is capable or is not capable of DVD+burning, it just pull a list of profiles from unit and expects it to be accurate.

Does the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K12RA burn +R(W) discs?

Authentic Pioneer DVR-K12 can record DVD+media. But is it possible that Acer has requested modified firmware from Pioneer with stripped DVD+? Even though it's *highly* unlikely, but yes, there is a *remote* possibility that *your* unit doesn't burn DVD+. You just have to try, it's the only way... A.