Re: cdrtools-2.01a37 ready

> > ...  _ non-zero _ pad bytes ...
> > A short "is ok" or "better pad 300 kB zeros" would be of help.

Joerg > I cannot tell, better you use zeroes.

Thanks, Joerg and Volker, for the advice.
I'll keep padsize=300k with CDs.

> > tradition suggest that TAO mode does not need to know the
> > track size in advance.
> Well there are writers tha need the track in advance size regardless of the
> write mode, so I see no problem.

If one is smitten with such a drive, ok.

Let me tell you my fresh cdrecord-ProDVD impressions :

It is easy to describe to users how to find out the
burner's address. (Kudos for -scanbus)
I plugged it into my software and it did a nice job with
ISO images buffered on disk. About 4250 MB each.

cdrecord-ProDVD even is 10 seconds faster than growisofs
when writing such an image to DVD+RW .
But because mkisofs needs nearly 10 minutes to build the
image on disk and because growisofs only loses about
2 minutes by waiting for mkisofs in a pipe, there is a net
disadvantage of 8 minutes per DVD.
24 minutes vs. 16. That is significant.

As stated, i am not always able to tell the size in advance.
So i eventually need the disk buffer to determine it
reliably without refering too much to the data format
(ISO, afio, whatever).

A disk buffer is by any means cumbersome compared with
a pipe. It consumes disk space, interferes with other
system activities, needs decent security settings ...
I was happy about burnfree hardware and fast computers
to get rid of buffer files. Now they are back again.
Larger than ever.

Nevertheless, i now offer my users to employ either growisofs
or cdrecord-ProDVD. If a drive or kernel is on strike with
the one program then it might still work with the other.

So thanks for providing your program for free.
(I qualify for a research license, i hope)

> > simulate a media overrun at 1 GB rather than to demand the
> > size in advance.
> I don't like to be made responsible for damaged media.

I see your point again. (being too much into RW media)