Re: DNS-like idea for SCSI (NIS+ maybe)

> > SCSI Generic operates _below_ this level and thus uses
> > a different naming scheme
>
> Same thing with networking:
>
> *  Mozilla operates at the HTTP/TCP level.

True, and nobody cares about SCSI generic because it's neither
necessary to know nor does anyone want to know (especially for IDE
drives).

Jörg is mentally fixed on his x,y,z addressing for reasons which only
apply on discontinued platforms, as you say. Personally I don't care
about platforms I don't have, and I start disliking them if it means
more work for me. The x,y,z on Linux is a PITA. I take it others think
the same, otherwise there wouldn't have been an effort to make cdrecord
work with device names. That's the bonus of free software - you want a
feature and are prepared to program it, just do it, esp when others
like that feature too.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.