Re: DNS-like idea for SCSI (NIS+ maybe)

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 02:39, Lourens Veen wrote:
> On Sat 21 August 2004 21:17, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 17:19, Lourens Veen wrote:
> > > On Sat 21 August 2004 18:06, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > That makes "dd if=/dev/FancyName" work, and in fact
> > is exactly what the Linux "udev" program sets up.
> > The udev programs discovers devices by looking in
> > the /sys filesystem when the system boots or when
> > a hot-plug event happens. Then udev looks at the
> > device (model, size, serialnum, and much more) to
> > match it with a device that I've defined.
> >
> > It won't make "dd if=FancyName" work unless I put a
> > symlink in every damn directory. I really don't mind
> > having to use "/dev/", but I'd hate to have some
> > programs needing it (basically everything) and some
> > other programs (cdrecord at least) being different.
> > It's nice to have a consistant user interface.
>
> Well, on Linux 2.6 you can use ATA:/dev/hdx IIRC.

That spits a warning, and anyway I have FireWire.
Besides, the "ATA:" part should probably be in some
other (seldom used) option.

> > The nice thing about using device files or drive letters
> > is that nobody has to change all the other programs
> > to match. Only cdrecord would need to change, and the
> > changes are pretty easy.
>
> But it would make cdrecord itself inconsistent across platforms. It
> just depends on how you look at it.

That would depend on the man page I think.
You could say "specify the device in the normal
way for your OS", and that would do nicely.
Plus the -scansci option can print the names
if the user is really clueless about his OS
and/or installed hardware.