Re: DNS-like idea for SCSI (NIS+ maybe)

On Sat 21 August 2004 18:06, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 14:28, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >
> > Check the man page of cdrecord for a decription of the features
> > that are handled by /etc/default/cdrecord
>
> Hmmm, that's pretty good.
>
> Do you think you could make all the other programs
> use that file too? If I define my CD-RW as QueFire
> in that file, then "mount QueFire /mnt" had ought
> to mount it I think. Also, "dd if=QueFire" should
> read from the device, and "cat QueFire" too. It could
> get kind of confusing if I had a file named QueFire
> as well though. Perhaps there is a better solution?

Uhhm, symlink? Just make a symlink /dev/FancyName (or wherever you
want to put it) and point it to the relevant device. I don't mount
/dev/hdc either, I mount /dev/cdrom. XMMS opens /dev/cdrom if it
plays an audio CD. If I decided to swap around my devices, I'd just
change the symlink and be done. I'm don't know much about Solaris,
but I imagine mount, dd and cat work with device files there too,
which to dd and cat are just files to read from, and to mount are
just strings to be passed to the kernel mount command.

Of course, this won't do anything for programs that actually send
SCSI command directly (like cdrecord et al), since they use
bus,target,lun triples. So you'd need a separate system for that,
like /etc/default/cdrecord or this NIS+.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key