Re: Backup thousands of files 1 at a time with growisofs?

Dear Folks,

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:19:16AM +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > I would particularly like to have my music uncompressed, untarred so I
> > can just put the dvd into a machine and play them.
>
> This would require each disk to have an in itself complete iso fs with a
> subset of the files. Each disk may be slightly underfull.
>
> > > http://www.serice.net/shunt/
>
> Brilliant piece of software by the looks of it. Thanks for the URL!
> Check whether it creates disks with a complete filesystem, or whether it
> creates one huge filesystem with a piece of the filesystem on each disk.
> In the latter case individual disks wouldn't be accessible.

Yes, I will try it out later for putting tarballs onto DVD.  I don't
see how I can use it to put individual files, unless I can somehow
hook things together with xargs.  It looks like a wonderful idea that
will have many other applications besides creating backups.

> Alternatively, you could hack up some script which reads through your
> music directory, sizing up as many files as fit on one disk, burn that
> disk, and then proceed with the next file in the directory.
>
> In either case you have no control over which file goes on which disk,
> i.e. it'll be somehwat random.

Won't it be possible for mkisofs to keep the directories in order, if
my (yet to be written) Perl program provides the paths in a particular
order?  I am currently thinking of writing a program that calls
growisofs once for each diskful, after generating a list of paths, the
contents of which can fit into one DVD.  And yes, as I've just
discovered, using --graft-points seems to be required here.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Proud member of the Dept. of Information & Communications Technology,