Re: Backup thousands of files 1 at a time with growisofs?

Dear Folks,

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:57:34AM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On  6 Jul, Nick Urbanik wrote:
> > Dear Folks,
> >
> > I just bought a DVD writer on Sunday and am ignorant about DVDs;
> > please excuse me.
> >
> > Can I back up thousands of small files, one at a time to a DVD, with
> > growisofs?  Can is do something simple like this, and get a reliable
> > result?
> >
> > What are the limitations of this if it is possible?
> >
> > The kind of thing I wonder is: can I do something like this:
> >
> > growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -J -R file1
> > for f in otherfiles...;do
> >     growisofs -M /dev/dvd -J -R $f
> > done
> >
> > where otherfiles... expands to many tens of thousands of files.
> >
> Why don't you use  'tar' especially with compression like
> tar czf- otherfiles | growisofs ...

I would particularly like to have my music uncompressed, untarred so I
can just put the dvd into a machine and play them.

I would also like to be able to visually browse the photos on the dvd,
since I have a web site with many gigabytes of family photos, and it
would be nice to be able to give copies of the photos to my family
more easily.

> This compresses the tar archive and otherfiles may me millions.
> I have'nt worked with growisofs, yet, since I am waiting for
> affordable double layer writers and media.
> Have a look at
>
> http://www.serice.net/shunt/
>
> and see the flyisofs / growisofs example there.

That is wonderful!  It looks like exactly the right thing!  How Unixy
that is; it allows me to put it into a pipeline, simplifying
everything!  I look forward to running this tomorrow if I can make
time.

Thank you again, that looks like a perfect solution.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Proud member of the Dept. of Information & Communications Technology,