Re: mkisofs:How can I make a CD with a Kanji Dir/File name (CodePage932)

>From: Kazuyuki Okamoto <kokamoto21@fiberbit.net>

>I am Linux user from Japan.
>I make DVD-RAM with Kanji Dir/File name in ja_JP.eucJP/CP932.
>But It can't see the Dir/File name on the Windows XP Japanese edition.
>I make DVD-RAM by growisofs.
>growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom -R -J -D /mnt/dvd
>The mkisofs command makes iso image with -J -R -D.
>Are there any options for CP932 ?

Your problem is caused by the fact that Microsoft uses a non POSIX
compliant character coding method (UCS-2) instead of UTF-8.

Making mkisofs able to re-code the file names into Microsofts (non standard)
would either cause mkisofs to grup up to many megabytes (which I don't like
because this is something that most users don't need) or to convert mkisofs
to be able to use iconv.

Unfortunately, adding autoconf support for iconv into the Schily makefile system
is nothing that makes sense with cdrtools current beta state. It could break
more than it may help.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling