Re: MSI DR8-A2 DVD-Writer with dvd+rw-tools version 5.19.x

It's as important to keep discussion on the list as to pose initial requests to the list. Therefore I send a copy of my reply to list.

I have downloadet the newest version dvd+rw-tools-5.19-1.4.9.7.tar.gz

but the problem is always there...

I didn't say it fixes your speed selection problem with your particular unit. 5.19-1 prevents you from running into another problem and is a *mandatory* update for *all* 5.19 users.

sometimes k3b says the writing speed is 2,8x but then it goes back to 2,2x ....

Varying speed in progress indicator most likely indicate that DMA is off. Verify DMA setting with hdparm and engage it if it's off.

here my "dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvdrecorder verbose" aoutput:

INQUIRY:                [ATAPI   ][DVD RW 8XMax    ][140D]
GET CURRENT PERFORMANCE:        00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 15 a4 00 23 05 3f 00 00 15 a4
^^ Firmware should have returned 2 in this position. Value of 2 would indicate that following data is *write* speed descriptor, while value of 0 indicates that it's *read* descriptor, which is why growisofs terminates. I mean point is that growisofs tries to verify if speed setting was successful, it does ask for *write* descriptor, but apparently gets read descriptor. It's clearly a firmware deficiency. Check vendor site for firmware update.

Even if it's not fixed in new firmware yet, you should always be able to temporarily work around the problem by first issuing growisofs with desired -speed argument and have it fail, and then [without re-loading media!] re-issuing same command *without* -speed to perform the actual recording. A.